Please read these guidelines thoroughly before you submit any work to Wild Child Publishing.
Wild Child Publishing is a non-subsidy publishing house. We are not a vanity press or self-publishing site. We pay royalties of 40% on electronic formats and 10% of the wholesale print price. There is no charge to authors.
We publish non-fiction on most subjects and most genres of fiction. New writers as well as cross-genre experimental styles and short story collections are welcome. We do not accept any pornography, works promoting hatred of any kind (racial, sexism or homophobia included), violence or profanity not pertinent to the story line, fan fiction or erotica. (If you are interested in submitting erotica, please visit our sister site Freya's Bower.) We accept minis (5,000-9,999), short stories (10,000-29,999 words), novellas (30,000-50,000 words), category novels (50,001-70,000 words), and novels (70,000 words and up). All works must be in English at this time.
Both authors and agents may submit material.
Works most likely to be accepted: crime, romantic works, historical, horror, science fiction, fantasy, self-help, general interest non-fiction, inspirational, and literary fiction. Those least likely to be accepted: poorly written stories with a lot of grammatical/spelling errors, imitations of any kind (King, Tolkien, Devereux, Prachett, Crichton, Agatha Christie), a story with an unimaginative plot line, boring characters and yawn-inducing dialogue, and anything that shows the author hasn't read these guidelines. Emails promoting a website where you have a 'really great book' for our review will be deleted without consideration.
We do all of our business online. All communications will be made via email.
All works submitted must be your original creation, free of all legal constraints. In other words, you must own all copyright and publishing rights to your book. You cannot have a contract with another publisher on submitted work. If the work has been previously published, we will only accept it if the rights have reverted to you. Unless otherwise agreed upon, Wild Child Publishing retains the first option rights to publish a print copy for sale.
We highly recommend that less experienced authors do their research before submitting to us or anywhere else. Read works we have accepted, style guides, reference books, 'how-to' books and as many books in your preferred genre as possible. Books like Stephen King's On Writing, Diane Hacker's A Writer's Reference, 5th ed., Michael Seidman's The Complete Guide to Editing Your Fiction, Orson Scott Card's Characters and
Viewpoint, Geraldine Wood's English Grammar for Dummies, and Strunk & White's The Elements of Style are available through Amazon or can be found at your local library. Join critique groups to help hone your writing skills. Helping others find their strengths and weaknesses is a wonderful way to discover what you need to work on. Writing workshops are also available at most local community colleges or online.
To submit work to us:
- The first step is to send a query letter with a 1-2 paragraph synopsis of your work with the first chapter of the manuscript in the body of the email. If we like the synopsis and first chapter, we will request a 'partial'. This is the first three chapters, or approximately 50 pages, of your book. If you send us a partial before we request it, it will be rejected and returned. You obviously haven't read our submission guidelines.
- At the top of the body of the email, include in this order:
- Your name and pseudonym;
- The title of your work;
- Word count.
- The work must be completed in its entirety. We do not take proposals for books that have yet to be written.
- No simultaneous submissions. We will do our best to respond within 6-8 weeks. If we are reading work submitted elsewhere that another publisher has already accepted, you have just wasted our time.
- Our standards are high. We expect submissions to be of a professional quality. Anything you submit must be edited and polished. Submissions with numerous grammatical and spellings errors will be rejected on the spot. If you do not take the time to catch such errors, you are not serious about writing professionally. If you are uncertain about grammar, consult one of the many online websites (see our resource page) or invest in a good reference book. A good dictionary can be your best friend when it comes to spelling and is a vital tool for any serious author. Do not rely only on your word processor's spell check and grammar program.
- The first chapter, synopsis, and query must be embedded in the body of the email. Should we request a partial, double-space your manuscript. Include a header with the title of the book, your name and contact information, and number the pages. Indent each new paragraph .5 inches. Start each chapter on a new page. If there is a scene break within a chapter, indicate it with a centered ***.
- All first submissions must include your full name, a pseudonym if used, a query letter, a brief synopsis, subject or genre and be in the body of the email. Email all submissions to Marci G. Baun at email@example.com.
- Should we request a partial, attach an RTF or text file to the email. We will not accept pdf, html, Word, WordPerfect, or any other files besides the two listed above. Include all 50 pages/3 chapters in one file. Name the file an abbreviated title of your book. So, if your novel is titled The Long Journey Home, your file name would be something like ljhome.rtf or ljhome.txt. Include your full name, address, title of manuscript, and length in the file.
- All non-fiction work that isn't personal biography must have an annotated bibliography of sources in Chicago style prepared, a table of contents and brief synopsis of each chapter. Should we request a 'partial', endnotes and the bibliography of this work must be included. We will not index the book. If you wish for it to be indexed, you will need to have this done yourself.
- 'Book query submission' must be in the subject line.
- A marketing plan. While we do market, we market for the entire site. The bulk of promotion for any individual book is on the author. If you do not include a marketing plan, the manuscript will automatically be rejected.
- You will be notified of our decision in 6-8 weeks, time allowing.
Do not submit works that are, or have:
- More than one POV per scene. If it does and we accept it, expect to edit it out;
- More than three POVs in the entire book;
- Is in omnipotent POV, second person POV, or switches between two types of POVs. (Eg. first person and third person) I realize this has become popular recently, but it is not something we will publish;
- Been published either on your website, any other website, published through another publisher, or self-published through Amazon.
All books accepted for publishing by Wild Child Publishing will be subject to editing. If you are not open to suggestions and/or recommendations, do not submit.